Saturday, June 20, 2015

For the First Time


This image came up in a Google search today.  I was searching for an "adventure meme" to give me a little inspiration today as I started to work on my application for the Baxter State Park Ranger position.  Such a simple image and phrase - but it inspires a deeper reflection on life in general and how you approach it.  Or at least that is what it inspired in me...

Everyone falls into a rut at times, and I'm just as guilty as the next person.  We get stuck in the day to day, making a living we all forget to make a life.  But what does it mean to "make a life"?  Helen Keller perhaps said it best when she said "Life is either a great adventure or nothing."  But then that begs the further question of "What is an adventure?"

I do not think that to have an adventure, a person has to seek out the most remote areas and venture to some place seldom traveled.  To me, an adventure is as simple as doing something for the first time.  Whether that is something small - trying a new restaurant or something large - a literal leap of faith sky-diving.  It's really about the newness of the experience and what you learn on that trailblazing journey no matter how far that journey takes you.

Those lessons are sometimes a measurable skill, but the more important lessons learned in any adventure are the lessons we learn about ourselves.  A life long adventurer is a life long learner.  So I ask you - When was the last time you did something for the first time?

2 comments:

  1. Hi John,

    No, unfortunately, I did not. But I still spend a great deal of time in the park volunteering. That will be enough for now...until there is another opening to apply for.

    ReplyDelete