Monday, March 22, 2010

Adventures in My Own Backyard

So I've been getting all stoked for summer all through this winter, and I figure I'll just put down some of the "adventures" I want to take right here in Maine. Maybe if I share, other people will want to give it a try, too? :) I'll probably blog about the trips as I take them, too, to give an idea of what each trip was like. These are in no particular order because I'm pretty much going to just randomly pick one each weekend :) haha


Saco Heath Preserve
This place sounded kind of cool because it has a "floating" boardwalk over a peat bog. It just seemed like a pretty unique and interesting place. While I wouldn't make the trip to Saco just for the hike, I would like to check it out on my way through - maybe on one of my trips to Boston. What is so unique about this place is that it is one of the few places that you can actually (sort of) explore a peatland bog. Most bogs are too soft on the surface to support a person's weight, and even in this preserve it is important to stay on the boardwalk path - according to the following website, there are some stories of people stepping off the path and sinking out of sight in the "Bottomless" bog. For more information, check out http://www.sacobaytrails.org/sacoheath.shtml.




Salmon Falls River

I'd like to kayak this 6 mile round trip at some point this summer, too. It's supposed to be an easy kayaking trip that takes only 2-3 hours, so it would make for a nice afternoon trip on a weekend camp out. :) There is a historic mansion (The Hamilton House) and a state park (Vaughan Woods Memorial State Park) on the riverside during this trip. So it is possible to make a day of it, as well. The Hamilton House is open Wednesday through Sunday from June 1st to October 15th, and the tours are every hour on the hour. There are also summer concerts most Sundays - which sounds like it would be very cool to check out. :) For more information on the Hamilton House, check out http://www.historicnewengland.org/visit/homes/hamilton.htm.


Monhegan Island


This island is 12 miles off the coast of Maine, so you have to go by boat to get to it (Monhegan Boat Line departs 3 times a day from Memorial Day to Columbus Day). Once you get to the island it's only about a square mile, but it somehow manages to pack up to 7 miles of hiking trails into the island. They do not allow camping on the island, but there are guest houses and inns on the island - and surprisingly they are not as expensive to stay in as you would think if you choose to stay at the Monhegan Inn (which I would LOVE to do! haha). The photos of the hiking trails on the island are breath-taking, and I can't imagine what it would be like to experience it first hand. It seems like it would be a much better trip than Bar Harbor! For more information check out http://www.monheganwelcome.com/index.html.

Megunticook Lake/Fernald's Neck Preserve

This is another kayaking one that I want to check out (hopefully my parents are open to me borrowing their kayak? haha). It's a 3-7 mile round-trip paddle that takes about 3-4 hours near Camden, ME. The preserve is actually on a large island in the middle of the lake, and what caught my eye about this trip was something called "Balance Rock" (see photo). For more information on Fernald's Neck Preserve, check out http://www.coastalmountains.org/conserved_lands/preserves/fernald.html.



The Beehive and The Bowl - Acadia National Park


This is supposed to be a pretty difficult climb due to the steepness of the trail and the exposure while climbing, but it sounds like an awesome challenge so I am all for it! The trip is only 1.3 miles, but it takes about an hour to do because of the degree of difficulty. The Beehive is the name of the climb to get to The Bowl (which is a pond at the top of the climb). The Bowl is one of only two ponds in the park that is accessible only on foot. Once you reach the top of The Beehive, there is a great view of Sand Beach. The trail quickly rises to meet the cliff wall and continues almost straight up with iron rungs and ladders to aid the climb. The Bowl is what is called a "tarn" - which is a pool that forms when glaciers melt. It covers about 9.5 acres at the top of the Beehive trail. For more information on The Beehive Trail and The Bowl check out http://www.acadiamagic.com/beehive.html
I will write more about my plans for the summer as I get time, and starting probably around about the end of May, start watching for posted photos and first hand accounts of all of these places :)

No comments:

Post a Comment